Saturday 20 August 2011

It's Not All Beer & Skittles!

Cruising on a boat is one of the few things in life where it is almost as much about the journey as the destination. I have always been okay with that - I enjoy the offshore sailing, particularly night sailing when the boat finds a groove and its just you/crew and the sea.

So it was a surprise to me (and to the captain!) that just before sunset (6 hrs into a 29 hr leg) I started crying- I am talking sobbing here. A combination of exhaustion (work and leaving preparations), anxiety about first mates health prior to leaving and anxiety about how the dogs were coping with their first big offshore sail was the catalyst (just to clarify whilst I was crying they were snugled in asleep in the cockpit!). Then of course a quick anxiety vomit really just topped it off...



So we kept sailing in a 15-20knt westerly, with no moon, only our trusty compass to steer with, a gps picture as our guide and me still feeling out of sorts. Then around midnight an amazing thing happened - the moon rose bright and clear from the ink blank horizon and I knew all was once again perfect in the world. It felt like the sun on your back on a bright, clear spring day and I was once again ready for the journey that is required for any worthwhile destination.



A few days hiding from the south/south east weather pattern in Coffs is after all an opportunity for some sewing or for the Captain to teach me how to crochet.....

Hope the moon was shining bright for you..Nic

PS. This picture is of the weather that still taunts us at Coffs Harbour (taken on the approach to Coffs).

2 comments:

  1. Better you than I!!! Sounds like a meaningful journey already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how you were getting on with the east coast low. I sympathise with how you were feeling during the night sail - especially when its dark, cold and you're tired and seasick. All is right with the world when the sun comes up and you're joined with a pod of dolphins.

    ReplyDelete

Followers